We hear lots of questions about managing staff during practice transitions, so we made it the focus of last week’s ADA Practice Transitions Coffee Talk webinar.
Dr. Betsy Shapiro, ADA Director of Practice Management and the ADA Center for Professional Success, joined ADAPT’s Dr. Suzanne Ebert, Vice President of Dental Practice & Relationship Management, for this hour-long conversation. The two shared their experiences with managing staff through their own practice transitions, as well as lessons learned from working with other dentists.
The webinar is now available on demand. Whether you’re selling, hiring, or joining a new practice, watch the webinar to prepare for your own transition. You will learn how to:
- Involve staff in the practice transitions process
- Write a smart job description
- Retain, hire, and terminate staff during a transition
- Conduct joint treatment planning sessions that build trust between the new dentist and existing staff
- Navigate COVID-related staff issues, including what to do if staff are reluctant to return from furlough
Get additional resources
The pair also shared several resources that can help you with staff management. Many of these resources are part of the ADA Guidelines for Practice Success, with 8 modules on some of the most common practice management issues.
- The ADA Practice Guide to Creating and Updating and Employee Policy Manual
- Position Overviews that outline the education, qualifications, and duties for each team member, from the Managing the Dental Team module of the ADA Guidelines for Practice Success.
- Checklist for Terminating an Employee
- Terminations, from the Managing the Dental Team module of the ADA Guidelines for Practice Success
- What to Do During Employee Transitions/Terminations, from the Managing Professional Risks module of the ADA Guidelines for Practice Success
- ADA.org/virus, for updated information on managing COVID-19 in your practice, plus the COVID-19 Practice Resources Toolkit that includes hazard assessments, return-to-work guidance, and links to state-specific requirements and restrictions
- Blog post: Shhh….I’m Selling My Dental Practice, which discusses how transparency with staff can make your transition more successful.
Want more tips?
Be sure to check out the rest of our ADAPT Coffee Talk series, with topics that include:
- Selling Your Practice in the COVID-19 Era: Advice from Accounting Experts
- Before You Buy: The Financial Side of a Practice Transition
- How ADA Practice Transitions Makes the Process More Predictable — and Successful